Monday, May 5, 2014

May 5th, 2014 // Week 3 in Mozambique

Why hello hello.

Oddly enough, I feel like I'm getting pretty adjusted here. I may not understand everything that is spoken, and many things are still blaringly foreign to me, but I think I'm hitting a groove of sorts.

Life is simpler here, but it also allots for time to focus on things that really matter. I feel our Heavenly Father's love, speaking to me in multiple ways as my companion and I try our best to invite others to Christ. Things may appear tumultuous and overwhelming sometimes, but there is a constant peace I've discovered that comes from the Gospel of Jesus Christ. 

As one of our investigators, Joao, put it after attending church for the first time: "Well, I like it! I feel different here, and I like it."  Amen, Joao, amen.

DE NOVO:


-For everyone wondering what ""Baby in a wheelbarrow"" meant: it means that instead of a baby stroller, sometimes you just make due with what you got. And no one's "got"' a baby stroller here. I've seen it plural times now, so it wasn't an isolated incident.

- Sometimes I just stare at the critters around here. I don't know what species or even category half these fellas fall under, but they are sights to behold. 

- While making contacts this week, there was a particularly small, particularly old man we bumped into. We said "' Boa Tarde!"" (Good Afternoon) and he simply turned to us, gave us a look, and squealed "BOO!'' We did the same back, so he came closer and repeated his chosen word. We once again returned the favor, and he came closer and started pointing at us, shouting ''BOO'" even louder. We ended up in a circle taking turns shouting ''BOO"' and ''DEE'' at each other. I thought we were speaking in dialect.

We weren't. 

He spoke perfect Portuguese and we got his number after.

 -  For some reason, people have started calling me Spider-man here. And because it's near impossible for the people of Mozambique to say me last name, their attempts at saying my name always ends up being "'Elder Mormon.'' That works.
 
 
 

 
This is the hardest thing I've ever had to do, but it is by far the most fulfilling too. I am so grateful to be here. 

Pray, friends. It works. Ask you Heavenly Father if he loves you. You will receive and answer. 

- Elder Mortimer

No comments:

Post a Comment