Monday, April 21, 2014

April 21, 2014 // Week 1 in Mozambique!

My mission in Mozambique has officially begun.


Holy.

Cow.



 

If I tried to condense these last six days into a sensible account I would be on this computer for another six days.

This place is nuts. Absolutely nuts.

I'm going the usual route with the highlights because I don't know what else to do. Be prepared for the barrage of sporadic thoughts coming.

 
- HOLY POOP

- I will never, ever complain about Utah driving again. There is one rule while driving here: survive. There are no lanes ( at least that the people of Mozambique care for), there are no speed limits, and there is no restraint. People just want to get where they're are going and that's all there is to it I guess. Think of the most thrilling roller coaster you've ever had the opportunity to ride. Every time I step in the car I experience very similar sensations to that

- In my life I have never met nicer people. Even though I slaughter their language, they accept me and hear our message. My favorite thing about Mozambique is the people.

- Everyone here is black. Well, I mean, other than the black albinos. But yeah, everyone else out here is black.

- Sometimes when walking down the streets, the kids will swarm me and shout CHING CHANG CHONG because for some reason they think all white people speak Chinese.

- Speaking of languages, this week I got to use English, French, Portuguese, and CHIGINA (yeah don't know how to spell it. It's a dialect here mostly used by the older generations. If you don't speak Portuguese here in Matola you speak Chigina) while talking with people. They get the biggest kick out of it when white people speak their tongue. A family here after we taught them how to pray prayed entirely in Chigina. 

- The people tend to get plastered here every weekend. Even though I can't speak the language my companion will hide behind the drunkards when they approach me and just let me get yelled at because I don't understand anything that's happening. 

- How's the water look over here? Check out our baptismal font. It'll clean you of your sins but it won't do much else.

- I LOVE LOVE LOVE playing with the kids. This weekend for church we received General Conference in Portuguese, so everyone and their families came and watched it at our chapel. Since I had already watched it in English in the MTC, I stayed in the back and tried to contain the children. Black babies everywhere, man. Just clinging to my limbs as I try to walk around. Clutching my head hair and arm hair because it isn't normal to them. They are honestly just so loving. I made a lot of new friends on Sunday.

- Our house is rad. We make due with what we have like everyone else. Check out our crafted exercise equipment.

- Because of the rules, I can't take pictures unless I'm at church, on my p-day, or at baptism. My companion, Elder Peterson (who is the greatest, by the way. Spiritual giant and very patient with anything that arises) had an old investigator that got baptized this Sunday. He asked me to be in the picture with him  and his previous companion. As for the other guy on the right I'm not sure who he is but he wandered in there and no one said anything about it.

- The rule also explains why I was only able to snatch one photo of my area. I'll be taking more pictures of Matola this next week.



I'm so grateful to be here in Mozambique. I love learning everyday new things about the people, the culture, and myself. I know that though it is difficult, it will be oh so worth it to share the message of the Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ. It is on the earth today, and it is a Gospel of love and miracles. I am so grateful for our Savior and our Heavenly Father. They love you. I love you. 

Until next time,

- Elder Mortimer. 
 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment