Saturday, August 9, 2014

July 28, 2014

 
Beira is something else.



I got transferred up north. Let me set the stage a bit:

My new area is called the "go-to". Before I saw it for myself, I
thought it was called that because everyone wanted to go there - but
the way it's referred to is just cutting the word esgoto short. Esgoto
means gutter, or in other terms, sewer.

I work in the gutter of Africa. Every step (without exaggeration here,
mind you) I am stepping on either trash, poop, or muck. This week I
have seen more rats and killed more coachroaches I think a human
should in their lifetime. In terms of local and conditions, it is far
and away the most abonimable palce I've walked. Yet is is here in the
gutter, in this filth, that I am also the happiest I've ever been on
my mission.

The backdrop provides the most beautiful contrast to the inhabitants.
Never in my life have I met a more receptive and loving people. I'm
finding that even with everything they may be missing, they have more
than we do back home.



A quick something I feel I need to touch upon:

I wonder if people understand when I say or mention that I "feel" the
love of God. This isn't just a statement to express, or rhetoric to
embellish a post that a few people are going to read. It is a tangible
sensation. I am talking about a sentiment that is coming from outside
of me, confirming to me and to others what is happening is truly
right. That it is of God. This is the Holy Ghost testifying of
truthfulness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. It is so powerful
sometimes my heart palpatates at just the right rythmn and goosebumps
find their way all over my body. And then my insides feel it too -
real warm. Not a warmth my words can explain adequetely... just a warm
that once I have, I don't want to lose it.



That's how it works for me at least. I've seen it work in different
ways on different people since I've been out here. I can't tell you
exactly how it'll work for you or in what way - but I can promise you
can feel it too. All it takes is a sincere desire to know for yourself
and a true effort on your end. God and Christ are always there on that
other side of the door, you just gotta let them in.

"Pray, he is there;
Speak, he is listening.
You are his child;
His love now surrounds you.
He hears your prayer;
He loves the children.
Of such is the kingdom, the kingdom of heaven."




 And now, Africa :

- My shoes reek now.

- My first day in my new house I killed 5 coachroaches within 5
minutes. They. Are. Endless.

 - Love love love love love love love

- I'm out of time.

African love you guys,

- Elder Mortimer

No comments:

Post a Comment